Like anything worthwhile in life, there are enemies hiding in the bushes waiting to stomp out your plans and goals. You must be aware of the enemies that will come to call when you take the first step on your journey towards setting goals.
The greatest enemy of setting and accomplishing goals is negative thinking. Things like:
- Excuses that say, “I can’t; it’s too hard; I don’t have the time”
- Procrastination that says, “I will do this on Monday; I will do this after I get a new job. ”Procrastinators always put off for tomorrow what they can begin today."
- Fear of failure tells you “what if…?” Instead you need to answer, “so what!”
- Not asking for help - if you don’t ask, you won’t get to where you want to go. We all need to surround ourselves with people whose skills can propel us into our future.
Antidote for Negative Thinking
- Recognize – that your thoughts are not lining up with your goals, so change your thinking to positive and encouraging beliefs. “As a person thinks, so shall they be.” Whatever you think, you will draw to yourself. That is vital aspect of goal setting.
- Refuse – to allowing limiting circumstances or negative thinking stop you from beginning the journey. Like Nike says, “Just Do It.” Refuse to allow others (or your negative thoughts) control what happens in your life. If you do, you will miss out on the best life that was prepared for you.
- Resist – the temptation to make excuses, procrastinate, fear, or let pride stop you from asking for help. Think positive and be disciplined.
“Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishments” –Jim Rohn, Author